It is that time of year again when severe weather conditions may erupt at a moments notice. Consider putting your amateur radio license to good use by becoming a trained storm spotter. The National Weather Service provides training sessions in coordination with local emergency management offices.
Visit this link to see the upcoming calendar of training classes in the area. There are classes scheduled during the upcoming weeks for Dupage County as well as Cook and other counties. Also you can take online spotter classes, if you are unable to attend a live in classroom presentation. Just follow this link for more information. https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_course.php?id=23
Spotter training classes cover severe weather hazards including thunderstorms and tornadoes. This includes the general structure and movement of severe thunderstorms, identification of important storm features, and safety concerns.
- Additional classes can be added. Please check back for updates.
- All classes last about 2 hours.
- They are free and open to the public.
- Classes are appropriate for all ages. Ages 10 and up will likely get the most out of the training.
- Pre-registration is NOT required unless specifically noted for a particular class.
- Classes are scheduled in collaboration with local emergency management officials.
- You may attend a class in any location, offered by any NWS office, regardless of where you live.